Duck Duck Go might be the most private place to search the Internet right now. Here's why:
- No IP addresses. I no longer store IP addresses at all. Not hashes of them. Not remnants of them. Nothing. I don't even log them.
- No cookies. I don't track you with cookies. If you just come to the site and search, no cookies are set. In fact they're only set if you use the settings page.
- Https. You can now search on an encrypted connection (using https). And nothing in the logs tells me you are using the https site.
- No contractors. Actually, it's just me right now, and there are no plans to change this in the foreseeable future. So you don't have to worry about anyone with access stealing the non-IP address logs we do have.
- No third-party feedback. Our feedback page is powered by me. No Google docs or other third party site. In fact, it really just emails me so if you want you can just email me directly at email@example.com. This may not seem like a big deal, but when we were using third-party feedback I had people writing in many times asking if they could trust the third-parties and to ditch it. So I did.
- No cloud. I run my own servers and network. However, we do have the capability to run on EC2 if needed (in case of network failure). Yet under normal circumstances, your search traffic is running on servers I can actually see :).
- No Google. I don't use any Google APIs. No Google search. No Google Analytics. No Google ads. I have no problem with Google, but if you're concerned with how much information they have on you, I offer you a viable alternative.
If I missed something that concerns you, please tell me about it. I'm certainly open to doing whatever I can to protect your privacy. And privacy is just one of the reasons to use Duck Duck Go instead of Google.